This weekend I’m attempting my first try at jerky on the Big Green Egg. As a long time jerky fanatic, I don’t know why the idea of doing my own on the BGE hasn’t occurred to me before. But finally, the light bulb has gone off and I’m about to start my first attempt tomorrow. I did my own spin on the River City jerky recipe that folks seem to be fans of. I managed to find a my beef sirloin roasts at the local 99 Ranch Market (an asian market here in Houston) for about $10 each – for 5lb roasts! But they were frozen so they’ve been defrosting in the fridge since Sunday.
- 10 lb beef brisket sliced thin (1/8″ or so) with the grain
- 2 cups Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Worchestshire Sauce
- 2 cups cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dark Molasses
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- Dried Chilies Arbol chilies – I bought a bag of dried whole peppers and ground them up myself using the pepper (former coffee) grinder
- I sliced my beef roasts on Thursday night, so I could split the effort
- I plan on marinating the beef until about 10am tomorrow (have to go get more lump first!)
More to follow tomorrow as I get through with the process and the set up.