This is a updated version of my previous How to Smoke Pork Butt post – I wanted to illustrate the method with a bit more detail and show how I work with multiple butts at the same time.
Big Green Egg Pork Butt Guide
- (4) pork butts
- (1) bag Meat Church Honey Hog Rub
Indirect with plate setter legs up – drop pans with water on the plate setter. Target temp to start at 240 degrees. With pork butts, plan on smoking for 1.5hrs per lb.
- Plan on scoring & rubbing your pork butt at least 6 hours in advance of smoking it. Scoring the fat cap allows the rub and smoke to penetrate deeper into the butt and will also provide for awesome crunchy bits when you pull it
- Rub the butts with the rub of your choice (I use Meat Church Honey Hog on these) and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours. (I go 12+)
- Once your eggs reach the target temperature, place the butts on the grid above your drip tray
- Insert the temperature prob in the butt (away from the bone) – I use the Thermoworks Dot or Smoke models
- Shut the egg and let the butts ride until they reach 195 (or the bone slides right out)
- Remove from the egg and let rest for at least an hour (uncovered on the counter works fine)
- Pull & enjoy!
I often cook pork butts for make ahead meals and portion the pulled pork into single meal sized servings and then freeze for future usage.
Smoked Pork Butt Recipe Photo Gallery
More Big Green Egg Recipes