Bourbon and Bacon Chicken Wings – yes, I said that right. And I used the Carson Rodizio to ensure maximum flavor and texture on the wings. This recipe made for a fun weekend cook & gave me a good reason to hang around the BBQ for the afternoon.
Bourbon Bacon Chicken Wings Recipe
- 12 oz barbecue sauce (any will do – but aim for an original recipe version vs. a flavored)
- ¼ cup bourbon (Bulliet Bourbon or Makers Mark recommended)
- 3 lbs chicken wings – drums & thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 pkg raw bacon, cut into pieces
- Fire up your egg for a direct cook
- If using the Carson Rodizio, get the egg fired up to a 400 constant temp and then add the Rodizio to the egg
- If not using the egg, get to a 400 constant temp before adding the wings
- In a small bowl, combine the BBQ sauce and bourbon. Mix well. (yes, that easy)
- Refrigerate the sauce while egg is warming up and the prep is completed
- In a food processor, combine the kosher salt, dark brown sugar, smoked paprika, and bacon. Pulse until completely smooth.
- Yes, you are making bacon paste
- Put the chicken wings & drums pieces in a bowl and then rub with the bacon paste. Once well-coated, thread the chicken onto skewers (if using the Rodizio)
- Place the Rodizio Skewers on the preheated grill. Let spin on the Rodizio for up to an hour (or until the wings reach 165)
- If cooking without the Rodizio, you’ll need to flip the wings every 15 minutes or so to ensure even color & cooking temps
- Remove the skewers from the Rodizio and brush the kebabs with the bourbon barbecue sauce and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with the remaining BBQ sauce.
I probably wouldn’t do the Bacon paste on the Rodizio again – with the extended cook time, most of the bacon melted off during the cook. I would use bacon again – but probably would either weave it between the wings on the skewers or wrapped around each wing individually. But the bacon paste is a solid idea that I will revisit soon.
These wings turned out very very tasty for sure – even with most of the bacon melting away. We devoured all of these wings in one day and this is a recipe that we will be reproducing in the future with some minor modifications.
Bourbon Bacon Chicken Wings Recipe Photo Gallery