Looking for an easy Big Football Game day appetizer that will wow your guests and leave you with no leftovers? Then look no further then this recipe for these Sausage Stuffed Frito Footballs.
This is a recipe derived from two recipes that I came across on the Egghead Forum – Fritacos & Best Ever Appetizer. I decided to change it up with All Beef Sausage and I upped the heat with the addition of a jalapeno, which didn’t really heat it up too much. You can omit the jalapeno if you are heat adverse.
- 2lbs Ground All Beef Sausage (2 packages of Southside Market Fresh Links, casings removed)
- 1 Bag Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers – Crushed into dust
- ½ Green Bell Pepper, Diced Small
- ½ White Onion, Diced Small
- 1 Jalapeno, Diced Small
- 1 Raw Egg
- Frito Scoops (About ½ a bag)
- Daisy Sour Cream (to finish)
Tip: Dice the veggies the day before in order to speed up assembly time. And this way, you can use the remaining ½ of the peppers and onions in another dish, like perhaps a breakfast scramble.
- Set your egg up for a 350 degree cook, indirect. Get it stabilized while you are assembling your footballs
- Mix all of the ingredients (except Scoops & Sour Cream) until well combined (basically like a meatloaf)
- Stuff into Fritos – they should be well filled but not overflowing. I recommend assembling on a full sheet tray for easy transport to the grill
- Remove your grid from the egg and place your stuffed Fritos on the grid, outside of the egg. This helps to ensure that your egg temperature doesn’t spike while you are placing the stuffed Fritos on the grid.
- Return grid to egg and allow the stuffed Fritos to cook for about 30 minutes – until the internal temperature reached 165.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before topping with the sour cream
- Sour Cream Topping: Fill small sandwich bag with Sour cream and cut off one small corner. Squeeze football laces onto each stuffed Frito for extra effect.
- Thermoworks Mk4 Thermometer (to check finish temp)
- BGE Plate Setter (Conveggtor)
- Southside Market & Barbeque Fresh All Beef Sausage
More Big Green Egg Recipes