This recipe was a creation of opportunity – mainly meaning that I had a lot of leftovers and I wanted to create something that would be a change of pace for the family. And sometimes those types of cooking experiments don’t work – but this one worked well. Very, very, very well. So much so that I wanted to share it – and what’s great about this recipe is that you can make it what you want.
Smoked Sausage & Bacon Baked Penne Recipe
- Chopped smoked sausage (1-2 links) (cooked)
- 3-4 pieces of bacon (cooked) – diced
- ½ box of penne – cooked al dente
- (1) jar of pre-made pasta sauce
- 4-5 slices of provolone (sliced and chopped)
- ½ bag of mozzarella
- ½ bag of pizza blend cheese
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Egg Setup: You’ll need a plate setter for the 2nd half of this recipe – or a 2nd egg J. For the first half of the cook – set up the egg for direct cooking, with the cast iron pan on the grid. Target temperature is 350 for both the direct and indirect portions of the cook
- Step 1: Sauté the sausage and bacon in the cast iron pan until the sausage is warmed through and everything starts getting a little crispy.
- Step 2: Remove the sausage/bacon combo from the heat and mix in with the pre-cooked pasta. While that is happening, remove your grid, put the plate setter into the egg and replace the grid so that you are now set up to cook indirect.
- Step 3: While the egg is coming back up to temperature (targeting 350 indirect), mix the sausage, pasta, sauce & the majority of the cheese together (save some cheese for topping).
- Step 4: Put the pasta mixture back into the cast iron pan and then top with the remaining cheese
- Step 5: Bake on the egg (indirect) for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown on top.
- That’s it – super simple and tasty!
This is a great dish to prepare ahead of time for a party or event – but the leftovers are also great for lunches and weeknight dinners.
Smoked Sausage & Bacon Baked Penne Recipe Photos
More BGE Recipes