Made this last night after I realized my wife was about to go out of town for the weekend and leave me with a giant container of fresh spinach that would most certainly get thrown away. Found a few recipes online and used those as a base to come up with one that would utilize the ingredients I had on hand.
Paired with some reverse seared NY strips and we had one heck of a meal. We loved the creamed spinach so much that my wife made me write down what I did in order to replicate it again – so here ya’ll go.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of chopped cooked bacon
- 16 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Get egg setup to 350 indirect
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and cream cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Mix in the spinach, bacon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until spinach is wilted into sauce and thoroughly mixed – about 2-3 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a disposable foil ½ pan or a baking dish and sprinkle with the panko and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake on the egg until bubbling and light golden on top, about 15 minutes.
- Thermoworks Mk4 Thermometer – to check final temp
- BGE Plate Setter (Conveggtor) – for indirect smoking
- Disposable Aluminum Trays (for drip pans) – save on dishes!